Mission San Francisco de Asís ("Mission Dolores")
3321 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Mission San Francisco de Asis (also known as Mission Dolores) is the oldest intact nave structure in California, and the oldest building in San Francisco. The adjoining cemetery is one of only two cemeteries in the city, and holds the last remains of several notable historic figures. The cemetery also includes 5000 Native American burials. The site was originally the Ohlone village of Chutchui. Mission Dolores was the sixth mission, founded on June 29, 1776 by Fr. Francisco Palóu.
The sanctuary building was constructed in 1788. It was one of the few buildings in San Francisco to survive the 1906 earthquake and subsequent fire. It was retrofitted in 1906, and stabilized with steel in 1917. In 1995, the sanctuary building, sacristy, and facade were retrofitted. Further conservation needs include damage mitigation from Powder Post beetle infestation, exploration, and mitigation of moisture issues in adobe walls.
Mission Dolores is home to two orginal reredos, or side altars, that were painted by Ohlone neophytes. Some of the design resembles traditional Ohlone patterns found on rock art in the region. These reredos need extensive conservation and restoration. Click here to see these murals.
National Register of Historic Places
California State Landmark
Directions to the Mission
From Marin County: Take the Lombard Street exit off the Golden Gate Bridge. Turn right onto Van Ness. Right onto Market Street. Left on Dolores. Proceed to 16th Street.
From the East Bay: Take the Bay Bridge to US-101 north. Exit at Duboce Avenue/Mission Street. Left on Guerro. At 16th turn right and proceed to Dolores.
Hours of Operation
9a - 4p (4:30p from May 1 to October 31) daily; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day, and limited hours on Good Friday (9a - 12p) and Easter Sunday (10a - 1p). Please call 415-621-8203 to confirm.
Docent led tours for groups of ten or more, reservations required. Call 415-621-8203 for further information.
A 40-minute audio tour (English) is available.